Compensation claim news
Woman receives hair dye personal injury damages
A West Yorkshire woman who suffered a horrific allergic reaction to hair dye used at a hairdresser's salon has won personal injury compensation for her pain and suffering - over five years after the initial appointment.
The woman, who was 16 at the time and having her hair dyed prior to a school prom, was left unable to see for five days after the dye application; her head and face swelled and she suffered painful blisters when a trainee hairdresser applied dye without completing a skin tolerance test.
She told press, "I was scared. When I woke up the following day the right side of my face was swollen. There was a clear liquid coming out of my head, it was just awful.
"Can you imagine waking up and not seeing anything just because of a hair dye?
"I went back to the salon and they said it must have been the shampoo I had been using - but I'd used the same one for years with no problems."
The salon's owners initially denied liability for the woman's personal injuries, but have now been ordered to pay £2,000 compensation and will have to pay her personal injury solicitor's fees.
The woman's personal injury compensation solicitor said, "I hope that hair salons will take notice, but I am concerned about research which indicates that they are lax about patch testing."