Industrial disease news
Asbestos claim for contact with hazardous surface coating
The family of a former garage worker, who died in March of this year, may choose to pursue an asbestos claim for their loss.
An inquest has heard that the 45-year-old man entered a painting and decorating training scheme in the 1970s when he was a teenager and during the training came into contact with a substance used for surface coating, which contained asbestos.
The personal injury victim began suffering some years afterwards, but reportedly medical professionals did not believe that he was in the pain he claimed.
It was in 2007 that he was finally diagnosed with terminal cancer, mesothelioma. His daughter explained that unfortunately by then the cancer "had gone too far and already spread to his other organs".
She stated that before her father was diagnosed he "did not get any sickness benefit and had to live on just £40 a week, but when it all came to light he got a large settlement."
She added, "It came so late in his life, he could hardly enjoy it."
A post mortem showed that the cancer has spread to his lungs, liver, kidney and spleen and that there were also some tumorous deposits in his spine. The coroner recorded the man's cause of death as industrial disease.
His family may decide to make an asbestos claim for compensation against the group or individual in charge of the training scheme, for the untimely loss of their family member.